Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The blessing of good health

Since I've been working the past year and a half as a nurse I can't help but think almost everyday how lucky I am for good health. In my 24 years of life I've only experienced one hospital visit after a car accident and everything ended up being okay.
Today we did surgery on a 44 year old who was morbidly obese with uncontrolled diabetes, uncontrolled hypertension, sleep apnea, about 15 allergies, living on 3 liters of oxygen every minute of the day. She was a recovery nurses worst nightmare. After work I couldn't help thinking about how thankful I am for my good health that I so often take for granted.
What a blessing it is to be able to get up everyday without worrying about taking medications or checking my blood sugar. I feel so lucky to be able to get up at walk around my house without getting so tired that I have to consistently stop to catch my breathe.
This is just something that I have been comptemplating lately and I thought I should express how greatful I am. There are so many blessings that we take for granted and I definately think that this is one of them.

4 comments:

Travis & Alisa said...

I agree with you! As a nurse, you see those type of patients every day and it truely makes you thankful for the health you do have!

Travis & Alisa said...

P.S. Hannah says HI! ;)

The Ennists said...

Hey Lindsey,
I couldn't agree with you more! I bet that makes you miss Gem City where we had "healthy" patients:-)
Hope you are doing well and that you and Jason have a very Merry Christmas!

Maria said...

Amen to that! It is so nice to be healthy. Hopefully we can see you guys over the Christmas break!

Jason Skydiving

Lindsey Skydiving